Rest Ministries chronic illness support featured site




Sunday, February 26, 2012

It Wasn't Mine To Wear - A Poem (Of Sorts...)

I saw a pretty hat yesterday.  It was a hat that I wanted more than anything to put on, the very moment that I saw it!  The hat was made of the most beautiful fabric.  It looked like it would be as soft as a cloud if I touched it.

How different my life would be, if only I could trade the hat on my head for the beautiful hat that I saw yesterday.  But wait... would a different life be the life that God had perfectly orchestrated just for me?  I think not.

I think that the hat that I am wearing in this moment... in this place... is the hat that I must wear.  It is my hat and no one else has one just like it!  Some days, I have to remind myself to embrace the uniqueness of my hat.  Oddly shaped and difficult to adjust, my hat requires me to work with it sometimes, to get it in just the right position on top of my head.  Still, it is my hat and no one else has one just like it!

There are prettier, more expensive looking hats than the one that I've been given to wear, but these hats do not belong to me.  It's all a matter a perspective, I suppose.  Some people may look at my hat and admire it.  They may wish for a hat like mine without realizing what I had to do to get my hat to look this way.

My hat belongs only to me.  I will find ways to make it work for me, then.  What do I desire most from my hat?  Only that it will embrace me in the same way that I have chosen embrace it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I needed that today! I am going through a tough time and sometimes I forget where my soul is anchored!